Monday, May 16, 2011

What is the Best Browser For Surfing the Internet ?

Now that Internet Explorer is no longer the default browser on the Windows operating system, it maybe time to have a look at using another browser to surf the internet.

A browser is a program that enables you to view pages on the World Wide Web. You're using a browser now to read this article. And if you didn't know you're using a browser, I expect you're using the Internet Explorer browser! (It's the little 'e' symbol you click when you want to search for something.)

Ok, so why would I want to change my browser?

Well, all browsers have one common purpose and that is to enable you to view web pages. However, they all have pros and cons. The main disadvantage for Internet explorer is speed. It can take forever to open and a long time to open web pages. If this is causing you frustration - it's time to look at installing a new browser.

There are a lot of browsers out there. Below I've selected the main (best?) five and reviewed each. This is my personal opinion and you may find that what works for me, doesn't work for you. Personally, I like things to be simple to use and fast and not ask me stupid questions constantly or interrupt telling me about processes I have no interest in. I'm a pretty irritable person!

The five I have selected are: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera.

Internet Explorer - Still the most popular browser on the net but why?

While IE8 is no doubt a far superior browser to it's predecessors, it's still a very average browser, IMHO. Yes, it has a new navigation bar. Yes, it's better designed. Yes, it has tabbed browsing and so I'm informed it's much better with plug-ins and security. But, I don't care. It's so slow, I've had time for a wash and change by the time it's booted up. For this reason alone, I only use it when I absolutely have to. E.g. to check what a site I have designed looks like for most of the web population.

Firefox - Don't believe the hype

Firefox has been growing in popularity for some time. I have been using it for several years. And I can tell you that it is definitely the best browser for customising your web experience. There are thousands of plug-ins and add-ons allowing you to run split screen browsing, dedicated applications for social networking, language translation and to change the background colours of the browser. And do you know what? I don't care about that either.

Personally, I want to get onto the internet as soon as possible. If I want to check my Facebook page I'll log on. Ditto Twitter. In fact, I have these applications on my iPhone. So, I let them update me on that. My computer - I just want to get on and do some work as quickly as possible.

And here is the main problem with Firefox. While it used to be a pretty cool, fast browser, it's now bloated and slow. From my experience it's no quicker that Internet Explorer. And that's a cardinal sin for a browser.

Source:http://goo.gl/iP5U0

No comments: